How I Like to Give a Compliment
Did you know that January 24 is National Compliment Day? Yeah, I didn’t know either until a coworker gave me a warm and genuine compliment this morning. She told me she admired my consistency in encouraging other working Moms to embrace their passions, and I almost cried because I didn’t think anyone was paying attention. So I wanted to share a few different ways I give a compliment when I want to make someone else smile.
I found that giving compliments not only makes the person being complimented feel good, but it also gives ME a happiness boost. I wanted to share the same warm feeling my coworker gave me. But in order to be an effective compliment, I have learned they must come from a GENUINE place. I wouldn’t want to waste my breath or the other person’s time trying to give a compliment that is not straight from the heart.
15 Ways to Give a Compliment
Here are my top examples for including a compliment in your day today. Feel free to take these examples and make them your own. And let me know in the comments if you have some additional ideas!
Get more ideas for random acts of kindness by checking out my kindness list from National “Do Something Nice” Day!
- Give a friend a hug.
- Tell a stranger their outfit looks nice.
- Thank your coworker for their hard work on a project.
- Tell your children something amazing about themselves.
- Kiss your partner/spouse.
- Tell your Mom and Dad how much their lessons touched you.
- Remind your best friend why they make you happy.
- Thank a member of the military for their service.
- Tell the cashier at the store to have a fantastic day.
- Show your partner/spouse that you’re listening to them.
- Encourage a small business owner to keep going.
- Tell a person walking by that their smile is infectious.
- Ask for advice from someone who is talented at a skill.
- Congratulate a social media friend on their latest life event.
- Tell the next person you see that they are AWESOME!